|In 1954 Govt. of India had started a premier research center for Ayurveda named as \”Central Institute for Research in Indigenous System of Medicine (CIRISM)\” at Jamnagar in the great building named \’Dhanvantari Mandir\’, which was built for housing the Ayurvedic Institutions. On 20th July, 1956 a Post Graduate Training Centre in Ayurveda (PGTCA) was also started in Jamnagar. These two institutions were amalgamated in 1963 and renamed as Institute of Post Graduate Teaching and Research (IPGT&RA). After establishment of Gujarat Ayurved University on 5th January 1967, IPGT & RA became an integral part of university. This institute offers Post Graduate and PhD levels study in Ayurveda, Ayurvedic Pharmacy and Medicinal Plants. It is fully financed by Govt. of India and administered by university as per the Gujarat Ayurved University Act 1965 and as per amendment made in 2003. The work force developed by this institute forms the backbone of Ayurvedic Teaching, Research and Administration in India. In 1977, this Institute has been recognized as collaborative center of WHO for Ayurveda. Students from Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, Maldives, and Mauritius are studying in P.G. & Ph.D. courses.|
This institute has been honored by Ministry of AYUSH, Govt. of India, as number one institution of its kind in its internal rating and now it is also recognized as Collaborative Centre for Traditional Medicines in India by WHO.