Magadh Mahila College is situated to the north of the historic Gandhi Maidan of Patna, on the bank of the river Ganga. With a number of fruit- bearing trees like mango, tamarind, lemon, plantain etc. & also large shade-giving trees, like Banyan, Peepal, Neem and Ashok, the college premises has a quiet and serene setting. Gardens, with rows of colourful flowers, add to the pleasantness of the campus milieus. For about six decades now, this institution has been commendably promoting female higher education in Bihar. Its role has been particularly significant in expanding educational opportunities for students of middle and lower classes of the society.
In Bihar, Intermediate Arts education for girls was introduced in Bankipore girls High School in 1938-39. The Intermediate wing was shifted to a near by campus in the year 1946 which was named the Government Degree College for Women. This was subsequently named Magadh Mahila College.
In the beginning, the college could offer courses only in arts subjects. From July 1948 science subjects were introduced at the Intermediate level. When a separate Patna University emerged in the year 1952, Magadh Mahila College, along with other reputed colleges of Patna, became a constituents unit of this new University and its administration came under the parent body. At present the college offers graduation courses in arts, science and commerce subjects. In the faculty of humanities, the disciplines in which Degree-level teaching is being imparted are Hindi, English, Sanskrit, Maithili, Urdu, Persian and Philosophy. The subjects that are taught under the faculty of Social Sciences are Economics, History, Home Science, Psychology, Political Science, Sociology and Music. For B.Sc students, Courses in Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology and Mathematics are available. Arts students can also take up mathematics as one of the graduation subjects.
Postgraduate teaching in History, Economics, Political Science, Philosophy, Sociology, Hindi, English, Sanskrit, Home Science, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Botany and zoology commenced on 2nd May 1985. But due to inadequate number of teachers and absence of infrastructure facilities , P.G. teaching in some subjects had to be discontinued. Currently, provision for P.G teaching exists only in Sociology, Home Science, Economics, Psychology and Chemistry.
Courses in Commerce, Bachelor of Computer Applications, and PGDCA (Post Graduate Diploma in Compter Applications) are conducted under self financed schemes. One Year diploma course in Women and Child Welfare, and Population Education are organized under the Department of Sociology. Thus, the college today is known for offering courses in no less than thirty different branches of knowledge.
The college library being quite rich, enhances the academic ambience of the institution. Most of the standard textbooks and reference books are available to students and teachers. There are three separate reading rooms. The college library can boast of a rich collection of about 1,20,000 titles, and the modernizations of the library is in progress.
An extension counter of The Allahabad bank is located within the college campus for the convenience of the students and the staff.
Each year the number of students admitted has been increasing. In 1946-47 only 59 students sought admission, whereas today more than three thousand students are enrolled. Since its inception the college has grown remarkably.
For the all round personality development of the students, special care is taken to encourage extra-curricular activities. A number of committees and societies are earnestly involved in this task. Some important bodies are Students Central Society, Students Common Room, Athletic Society, Dramatic and Debating Societies, Planning Forum, National Service Scheme, and N.C.C. Separate literary societies exist for English, Hindi, Maithili etc. Science and IT Society, Sociological Society, Music Society etc., are also contributing substantially towards this end.
The main building of the college houses all the departments except those of Music and Home Science. The Principal’s chamber and the Administrative office too find their spaces in the same premises. The department of Music, Chemistry Laboratory, Allahabad Bank, Telephone Booth and Cyber Café, as also sports and NSS halls are located in the old building. The old building is of special importance in the history of Patna University, for in 1917, it housed the inaugural office. The Home Science department functions in an independent building, east of the sports ground.
In 2004 an alumnae association was formed. The students and teachers of this college have posted impressive achievements in various walks of life. Among the lady doctors, the name of Anmola Sinha is most notable. Mrs. Ramola Nandi and Mrs. Lalita Singh, as Vice-Chancellors of Patna and Bihar Universities respectively, rose to the highest academic office of the state. Mrs. Nandi was also D.P.I. in the government of the Bihar. As such, women have had little representation in the politics of Bihar, nonetheless some alumnae of this college, like Mrs. Tarkeshwari Sinha, Dr. Shakuntala Sinha, Dr. Girija Sinha, Dr. Sukhada Pandey, Dr. Rita Verma and Dr. Kiran Ghai have made their mark in this field as well. Celebrated folk song singer, Padmshree Srimati Sharda Sinha, too, is an ex-student of this college. Of late, Neelakshi Singh has earned national acclaim as a sensitive story writer of the younger generation. With such inspiring achievements of its ex-students, the college has been successfully promoting the cause of female education in Bihar. It is always gratifying to remember that a good number of alumnae of this college have attained positions of eminence in such varied fields as education, medicine, politics, administration, arts and science.
For the security of the college, sufficient number of guards are posted in different sectors of the campus.
The college administration is engaged in a relentless effort to realize the aspirations and objectives with which the institution was founded.
With the intent to give contemporary social relevance to higher education, introduction of self-financing schemes like, P.G. Diploma in Women and Child Welfare, Population Studies, Computer Applications and Graduation level Commerce teaching are proving to be quite rewarding.
At the graduation and post graduation levels 80 to 90 percent examinees of this college are successful and in some subjects they secure even top ranks in the university.
A fairly large group of dedicated teachers is keeping the college academically vibrant and abreast with advancing knowledge. On the basis of their researches and specializations, such teachers have been participating in national and international symposia and taking keen interest in UGC refresher courses. Their association with outside institutions, apart from raising their intellectual stature, has led quite frequently to the publication of their research papers in journals and magazines of repute.
To preserve the academic environment, all round discipline is maintained within the campus.
The relationship between boarders and superintendents of the college hostels is based not only on habitual observance of common courtesies, but is appreciably warm and homely as well.
The college is permanently affiliated under section 12 B of U.G.C act since 1952.
It was for the first time accredited with B++ grade by the UGC NAAC in November 2004 during the tenure or Prof. Dr. Sukhada Pandey.
The college was then Re-Accredited with ‘A’ Grade in January 2013 during the tenure of Prof. Dr. Dolly Sinha.
The College was awarded College with Potential for Excellence (CPE) status accorded by the UGC on Sept 16, 2011 (2011-16) vide letter no F. No.12-1/2010 (NS/PE).